Searching for the weight gain formula! Well! Ever searched the internet for a weight loss program. Seems ubiquitous. Isn’t it? Considering weight loss, there are a board of training programs e.g. HIIT , Cardio, Tabata, etc., that guarantees fat loss. Also, there are nutrition programs that assists in fat loss i.e Keto, Military, Banana and the likes. However, with regards to weight gain, it has always been kept simple. Not much is being said, other than simple techniques. And so it is!
Science of Weight Gain
Before we discuss the approach to weight gain let’s understand the science behind weight gain. Metabolism is the primary chemical reaction series that happens in all the living organisms. It provides the necessary energy for it’s sustenance, growth, reproduction, usual functioning etc. Simply put, metabolism is a sum of catabolism and anabolism. Catabolism is the process in which complex compound are broken down to simpler compounds and releases energy. For instance, polysaccharides are broken down into monosaccharides and energy is released. On the other hand, anabolism is the synthesis of complex compounds from simple compounds, with the help of energy.
The three main compounds formed are proteins(poly-peptides), lipids(fats) and carbohydrates. These three compounds are stored in the body cells and are utilised when required. Lipids(Fats) protect your internal organs and keep you warm. Protein, is broken down into further into amino acids as they cannot be assimilated directly by the cells and is required for cell growth and recovery. Carbs break down into simple saccharides and release energy for proper functioning of the body.
So, How does metabolism or rather, Catabolism and anabolism aid in weight gain? If the rate of synthesis(anabolism) is more than the rate of catabolism, the extra energy is conserved in the cells, leading to weight gain. That’s your weight gain formula.
So, What approach do we need to follow to put on weight? Answer is simple; Diet and exercise is the key. Proper nutrition provides your body with the fuel for metabolism and exercise improves your metabolism.
With respect to your nutrition eat more. If you usually eat 1 proportion meal, try and increase it to 1.5-2. This is way you consume more than you expend. Eat a lot of healthy nutrients;
- Include complex carbs in your diet : Brown rice, whole wheat breads, quinoa, potatoes, corn etc. They are take time to break, releasing slow energy to the body for a longer period of time. Hence, supporting synthesis.
- Add Fruits: Fruits are a good source of clean sugar. They are simple sugars. Complete absence of sugar and carbs in your diet can have negative repercussions.
- Eat a lot of nuts: Nuts are a good source of fat and protein. Fats are required to provide energy for cell growth and it protects your internal organs.
- Consume dairy products like milk, mozzarella cheese, yogurt, butter as part of your diet.
- Add protein sources like eggs, meat, fish, beans, peas, grams, etc.
- Rather than having three square meals, have 4-6 meals and balance your meals with the right amount of protein, carbs and fats. Check this for the proportion of macros in your diet.
- Drink a lot of water. Drinking water is a good way to release unnecessary minerals from body.
Moreover, workout is also essential. As working out increases your metabolism(Catabolism+anabolism). You start to expend more energy when you workout, your need to replenish your body increases. Hence, you appetite increases. But, how do we workout;
- Include strength training in your exercise program. Exercises like, push-ups, air squats, pull-ups, benchpress, deadlift, barbell squats, planks.
- Do not exert yourself with 15 reps per set. Load yourself for an exhaustive 8-12 reps per set. Increased load increases muscle and bone strength.
- Take 1-2 mins of rest in between sets, so that you give your body ample time to recover.
- Sleep properly. The repair happens only during rest. Give your body the rest that it needs.
- Say no to cardio exercises, like running, cycling, etc. Cardio training is good for your heart. But you need to conserve energy.
- Limit training to 3-5 days a week not more. Excessive training may lead to muscle loss.
In process of weight gain, you should not eat a lot of junk so that you bulge like a sack. Your gain should be a healthy one. There has to be a balance between your diet and training schedule for optimum results. Have you now found your Weight gain formula?
“Invest in your body, it’s the best savings account you’d ever get. For, Health brings happiness, not wealth” – Pradyush 🙂